Saturday, October 3, 2009

CULT OF PERSONALITY

1 Corinthians 2



Before coming to know the Lord, there were many of us who could be led astray by some fast talking huckster with a message of peace and love. (usually for profit)
For reasons that I can't quite explain, it seems that the more complicated the path to Nirvana is, no matter how complex the hierarchy, we think that because of these trials then this must be the true way of God.
Because of these complicated ideas of spiritual fulfillment, we can bring that attitude with us into our relationship with the Father. That is until we come to understand that faith in God is not a matter of doing, it is a matter of done.
Huh?
It really is simple. There is no trial or test to go through.

1 When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God.
2 For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.
4 My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power,
5 so that your faith might not rest on men’s wisdom, but on God’s power.
12 We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us.
13 This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words.
14 The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

I came to know the Lord when I got sober and began to hear of the concept of a “higher power.”
This was a generic spirituality kind of like reading the horoscopes in the newspaper.
But, there was a simple trial that seemed to be needed to attain the serenity promised in the twelve steps,
“Let go.” “And, let God.”
Just vague enough to tempt us and put us on the path to Nirvana.
But, it was the concept of “letting” God provide my salvation rather than having to work it out or go through yet another test, that led the way for my being born again.

PRAISE GOD.

No comments: