Monday, October 5, 2009

WHAT ARE YOU WILLING TO DO?

Philippians 1: 19 – 26




In the 50's movie, “The War of the Worlds,” one of the character in the beginning of the movie was a pastor. When the Martians first began to leave their ships to start the invasion, this pastor walked toward the deadly aircraft his only thought was to bring the word, and love of God to the invaders.
While standing in front of an advancing vessel, he held up his Bible and recited the 23'rd Psalm as he was burned into non-existence by the Martian heat ray.
Okay.
I know it's a stretch.
I also know that what I described was an act of fiction.
I used it as an illustration of someone who is willing to sacrifice themselves for their beliefs.
Paul discussed this with the people of Philippi.

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.
22 If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labour for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know!

Having this knowledge floating around the back of your mind,the question is,
“Would you be able to sacrifice your life to advance the Gospel?”
It appears to be a win, win situation.
If we live, we have ample time to be in service to our Lord.
If we die, we live in the presence of God for eternity.

23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far;
24 but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.
25 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith,
26 so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me.

I love Jesus, and look forward to being with Him in eternity. Yet, I love being in His service here on Earth.
In the song, “Give me just a little more time” Marty Stuart sings,
“I'm ready for you to call me.”
“But give me just a little more time.”
Thar's a good philosophy. Ready to go, yet loving being in God's service.
Are you willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for your fellow man, of to advance the word of God?

No comments: