Tuesday, October 28, 2008

GETTING IN YOUR HEAD

Galatians 1: 6 – 9

God be in my head, and in my understanding;
God be in my eyes, and in my looking;
God be in my mouth, and in my speaking;
God be in my heart, and in my thinking.
Sarum Primer

Sounds a little weird, doesn't it? We often accuse those people who try to make us confused as playing with our heads, Psychiatrists with getting inside our heads, and we think that cult leaders get into peoples heads also. So why pray that God be in our heads? I mean it's bad enough that people we know think of us as closed minded fools and that are brainwashed in our political views, and our views of the world, and even into the way we act. But, then I thought that if I'm to experience the emotional parts of a relationship with Jesus Christ, why must I check my mind and my thinking at the door?
After all I am a free thinking citizen protected by the constitution.
We get lead in all different directions by all sorts of things in this world. We can get so confused and twisted by TV, music,the Internet, extra-marital affairs, cars, jewelry, politicians, etc., etc., that it messes up our compasses so much that we can't find true north anymore. It's amazing that the word of God can compete at all.
That's why Paul warns us in his letter to the Galatians about being lead astray by false teachers and prophets.

6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel—
7 which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ.
8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned!
9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!

I used to live my life by simple principles, “If it feels good, do it”, and “The one who dies with the most toys wins”. As I look around the room, I see many heads nodding in agreement so I can only think that I am not the only one who has had a major change here. In reality, the one who dies with the most toys, STILL DIES!! And Paul once again reminds us that all things are available to do, but not all things are expeditious, in other words, just because we can do something, doesn't mean that we should.
After saying all that, I really want God to be in my head as much as I want him in my heart. Using a nautical term, I want to “box my compass” (calibrate) so that I can find true north and be able find my way through the mine field that is my everyday life.

No comments: