Tuesday, October 14, 2008

WHAT DO WE THINK WE'RE DOING?


James 1: 19 – 27
James was the half brother of Jesus, and when I first came to know the Lord, I would read his book over and over because it reached out to me in a way that I could understand what he was saying.
(Boy was that a long sentence)
His book is filled with simple, easy to understand and follow instructions on how to live as a Christian.
19 My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
20 for man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.
That's pretty simple right? Take a minute before you react, and don't let anger rule cause it ain't gonna be good for you.
James is really cool, he tells us not to fool ourselves and to look after others who need the help.
22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.
26 If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.
27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
Once again, real simple to understand what he is talking about.
One of the things that I guess I can relate to with James is that he came late to the table sort of like I did. At first he didn't believe that his brother Jesus was the Messiah and probably thought that Jesus was crazy. Like James, I had plenty of opportunity to come to believe earlier in my life than I did.
But, I thank God that he was patient enough and hit me on the head hard enough and long enough, that, like James, I finally came to understand and believe.
Read the book of James it's a good read and easy to follow,

No comments: