Monday, October 13, 2008

GOD'S WORD



Psalm 119: 17 – 24
I can't believe how blessed we are to be living in a time and place where we can read the Bible in our own language no matter what that language may be.
Even though there were three original languages that made up the books of the Bible, it was compiled into one book in Latin making the word of God available to only a few well educated people.
Can you imagine what it would be like to go to church and not understand what the Pastor was reading?
Can you imagine not being able to read the Bible?
Thankfully, many years ago brave people translated the Bible into the languages of the common people once again making the word available to everybody as God wanted it to be in the first place. We know this by reading what the Psalmist says in Psalm 119 (and other places also).
17 Do good to your servant, and I will live; I will obey your word.
18 Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.
19 I am a stranger on earth; do not hide your commands from me.
20 My soul is consumed with longing for your laws at all times.
21 You rebuke the arrogant, who are cursed and who stray from your commands.
22 Remove from me scorn and contempt, for I keep your statutes.
23 Though rulers sit together and slander me, your servant will meditate on your decrees.
24 Your statutes are my delight; they are my counselors.
It is apparent to me by reading this passage, that God wants us to know and meditate on his word, and for our eyes to be opened by them,and that the word is to be a comfort to us. So, how foolish we were when we took the word of God from common languages and translated it into one language that could not be read by everybody.
I love to read my Bible, and have read through it a few times, so I can't imagine not being able to understand it. Having God’s Word in my own language allows me to experience the joy of meditating on it each day.
Pick up your Bible and start reading. Thank those brave people like Erasmus and Tyndale who defied the church and translated the word back into Greek and then into English, and thank God for the gift of his word.

No comments: