Thursday, October 16, 2008

IF THE DEVILCAN'T MAKE YOU BAD....


Luke 10: 38 – 42
38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him.
39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said.
40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"
41 "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things,
42 but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."
Work, kids, bills, chores, your buddies, TV, the Internet, and a whole list of other things all gang up to create distractions that keep us from God. The old saying that: “If the devil can't make you bad, he'll make you busy”, has never been more apparent than today.
I love God and I love to read his word. When I read for shear entertainment I read books by Christian authors with Christian themes,but boy can I get distracted. Just as if I had ADD, all it takes is a shiny object, and there I go, wandering away engaged in some other activity whether it's work or a cool song on the radio, or whatever.
It happens when I'm in the word, and I can even get distracted while in prayer. Something comes to mind and there I go again.
Now, I'm sure that I'm not the only one that this happens to, after all it happened to Martha, and maybe, just maybe it happens to you.
Martha got upset, because she was distracted by doing chores and Mary wasn't. Maybe she was jealous, or maybe she wanted her house and dinner to be perfect, after all, Jesus was there in her home, and if Mary would just lend a hand, maybe she could relax and enjoy his company too. How could Mary just sit there while she was doing all the work? Can't you just see the devil at work in Martha's head, making her mad, making her jealous, keeping her from what she should really be doing?
De 6:5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.
We all need to follow this command. I know that I wish that I could hit that target, but there are activities of daily life that need to be attended to as well. Unfortunately we all need to pay bills, and provide for our loved ones, and yes we all need time to have a good time and relax with friends and family. And, to be sure, we need to clean our “houses” because Jesus is living in us.
God has given us the opportunity to have personal moments with Him. By taking the time just to be with the Lord, we are fed, refreshed, and renewed.
Let's not waist that opportunity by looking at the shiny object.

No comments: