Thursday, October 2, 2008

O.D.A.A.T.


James 4: 13 – 17
One of my favorite phrases is; “If the good Lord's willin' and the creek don't rise”. It is my reply to my clients who always want to know whether I will be driving them the next day, or the day after. They, like most people, have a need to know the future and also a need for stability, change is always scary to a lot of people.
Many years ago I learned the lesson that taught me to live One Day At A Time.
I had spent everyday of my life in a drug induced fog, with one day just blending into the next. I made great and grandiose plans extending out years that I never came close to achieving, leaving me more depressed and self destructive, and I became a huge disappointment to those who counted on me.
When I came to, I knew that if I extended out my plans for years at a time, it was too much to comprehend. I couldn't think or plan more than 24 hours in advance because we learned that it was impossible to think that we could go the rest of our lives without a drug, but that we could go one day without one, and thereby getting sober for long periods at a time doing it one day, then another after another.
13 Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money."
14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.
15 Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that."
16 As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil.
17 Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins.
That lays it out pretty clearly, don't ya think?
We have enough to worry about today without worrying about tomorrow.
My A.A. Sponsor once gave me some advice that I still refer to today 18 years later. One night when I was F.I.N.E. (Fouled up Insecure Neurotic and Emotional) he told me with all sincerity;
“No matter how much today sucks, tomorrow is going to suck in a completely different way”.
I laughed, felt better, and sucked it up to get through what I was going through and started to not worry about the coming days and live in the one I had.
There are so many ways with cute little catch phrases that vary from the cute to the vulgar, that we won't get into here, that express the same thing that James spoke of, and by the way so did Jesus.
Once again, take wisdom from the bible and apply it to your life.

No comments: