Thursday, October 23, 2008

OOOHH! NOOO!


Lamentations 1: 12 – 16, 3: 19 – 23
When I was young and SNL was first one the air,(You know, the good ones that were really funny) they had recurring films about a clay-mation character named Mr. Bill.
Mr. Bill has returned in a new TV commercial, where he depicted having something good happen, which goes horribly wrong, but ends up being okay. Everything works out in the end.
With the destruction of Jerusalem, Jeremiah lamented over what once was a great city and center of worship now devastated by war. But Jeremiah did not remain in despair. He recognized God’s sovereignty in suffering.
15 "The Lord has rejected all the warriors in my midst; he has summoned an army against me to crush my young men. In his wine press the Lord has trampled the Virgin Daughter of Judah.
16 "This is why I weep and my eyes overflow with tears. No-one is near to comfort me, no-one to restore my spirit. My children are destitute because the enemy has prevailed."
21 Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope:
22 Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
Has sorrow or suffering made your life feel like a dark silhouette of what it once was? Remember, God’s mercies are new every morning.
Ps 30:5 For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.
Like Mr. Bill, bad things may happen, then good things may often be a result.
If we keep our hearts and eyes focused on God, we will be able to stand up during those times of strife and trouble, and rejoice when those times turn to the good.

No comments: