Tuesday, September 23, 2008

BIG DADDY IS WATCHING


Psalm 33: 8 – 22
As the title implies, I once thought of God as sort of the fictional “Big Brother” from the book 1984. I was constantly worried that Big Daddy was watching ready to alert his angel police to conspire against me and condemn me for my actions and thoughts.
13 From heaven the LORD looks down and sees all mankind;
14 from his dwelling-place he watches all who live on earth—
Just as the main character Winston Smith found his alcove that was out of the reach of the all seeing cameras, I was looking to hide from the sight of God.
Then I figured that if I was going to hell anyway, then I might as well enjoy the ride and gave up trying to hide my sins from the eyes of God and flaunted them in front of them.
How lost I was, how ignorant I had become. I felt that I was a fairly intelligent person and that all this religious stuff was for the stupid. I forget who said it, but I agreed that; “religion was the opiate of the masses” created to keep the rabble quiet.
9 For he spoke, and it came to be; he commanded, and it stood firm.
10 The LORD foils the plans of the nations; he thwarts the purposes of the peoples.
To be honest, the word of God scared me silly. But then, as I began to really read what it said, I found great truth and comfort in those words that once scared me.
12 ¶ Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, the people he chose for his inheritance.
The eye of the Lord may be fearsome, but we who trust in Him rejoice. He is not an intrusive “Big Brother” but our loving heavenly Father who watches over us.
We can take comfort in the fact, that just as when we were children, there is a father who cares enough about us, that he loves to watch what we do and takes interest in the things we like.
Keep your eyes on the Lord; He never takes His eyes off you

No comments: