Monday, September 1, 2008

TITLE OR TESTIMONY


John 13: 3 – 16
I'm a van driver.
My title is “transportation coordinator”, no matter what they call me, I'm still just a van driver. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put down my job, what I do is important to my company and our clients, but my title doesn't equal my job.
3 Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God;
4 so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel round his waist.
5 After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped round him.
13 "You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord’, and rightly so, for that is what I am.
14 Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet.
15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.
Now before you get all up in my grill, I'm not comparing my title or my job to Jesus washing the feet of his disciples. All I have to say is that my job has this very impressive sounding title which upon hearing, most people would assume that I wear a suit and tie whilst I use my brain and intuition to coordinate a fleet of vehicles getting them to their proper place to do their proper job.
I drive a van, no more no less, a service that is provided to lift up the lives of people in need, and is an example of how we are to supposed to lift up and serve each other.
Jesus set the example for us all to follow. Talk about a title; “Lord and Savior”, and here he is doing the job of the lowliest of slaves then telling us all to do the same.
Its a tough thing to do, humility does not come easy, we all have a tendency to hold ourselves in pretty high regard, but the thing we all need to learn is that humility, or being humble, is not the same as being humiliated.
So, here's the question; Do you want a title or do you want a testimony?
Do you want people to remember you for the position you held at work, or for the work that you did?
I know the choice that I have made is to be remembered for my work. In interoffice e-mail, I have changed my closing salutation, to;
Yours in Christ
Geoff church
van driver
><>
I have been successful in removing my official title, and putting the emphasis on what I really do, provide a needed service.
Remember, Pharaoh had the title, but Joseph had the testimony.
The more we serve Christ, the less we will serve self.

No comments: