Monday, September 22, 2008

THIS IS HOW WE KNOW WHAT LOVE IS


1 John 3: 16 – 20
I used to throw the word “love” around like it was worthless; Love ya man, of course I love you why else would I be here, over and over again I would tell people I loved them, usually it was a word used to get what I wanted. I guess the easiest way to explain it was that I really had no idea what it meant to truly love.
As I said, my mouth formed the word many times, but it was never in my heart, nor was it in my actions, unless the love was directed to me. Even though I professed to having no feelings of love for myself, I showered myself with selfish deeds. I grabbed all the stuff, booze, drugs, and women I could afford to pay for that week.
Getting sober and coming to know God changed all that. I found that I could say I love you by what I did, not by what I said.
When I married their mother, I made a vow to God, and my wife, that I would love my two wonderful step-sons, as if they were my own. Even though I told them that I loved them, I knew that I would have to let my actions speak. Even before we were married, I chaperoned a junior high camp out, then I began to bring one step son to his softball games, little things I know, but I had no other experience and had to start somewhere.
While reading the word of God, it occurred to me that this is the way that He wants us to act. The example of sacrifice is throughout the Bible.
16 This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers.
17 If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?
18 Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.
19 This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence
20 whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything.
So as it says in these verses, lets go out and let our actions speak for us of our love for others.
Next time you tell someone that you love them, back it up with actions.
When you see someone in need,
Love demands a loving deed;
Don’t just say you love him true
,Prove it by the deeds you do. —Sper

Compassion puts love into action

No comments: