Saturday, September 27, 2008

FAMOUS LAST WORDS



2 Timothy 4: 9 – 22
Just days before his death, Gandhi wrote, “All about me is darkness; I am praying for light.” By contrast, evangelist D. L. Moody’s last recorded words were, “This is my triumph; this my coronation day! It is glorious!” In both cases, their last words were significant expressions of their perspectives on life, death, and everything in between.
The difference between believers and non-believers is never more apparent than when we are faced with the specter of death, whether it is our own, or a loved ones.
Recently a friend of mines father passed away, he was the leader of a Christian family, when I spoke with my friend to find out the particulars of the wake and funeral, he told me that there would be no wake and no funeral. There would, however, be a memorial service at his fathers church, and that it should be a good time.
A good time?
When a friend of mine who wasn't saved died unexpectedly, there was a wake and funeral, the funeral home was filled with people consumed with fear and sadness, there were lots of tears and cries of anguish.
Not a good time.
The memorial service that I went to was filled with the joy of life in the knowledge that our friends father had gone to be with his savior. Yes there were tears, he would be missed by those of us left behind, but there was also celebration.
A good time.
Paul gave us some of his last words in the book of 2 Timothy, words of encouragement and warning for others.
When it comes to my time to “shuck off this mortal coil”, I am comforted by the fact that I am sure where I am going, I am prayerful that I will have words of encouragement and not words of fear.
Other than death and taxes, there is also another certainty. Eternity is a long time, and after we pass from this world we will be faced with that reality. Now, there are two choices that have to be made before we go. Do we want to spend that time in heaven or in hell.
I pray that your family will invite people to a good time when it is your time to go, not invite them to a place of fear and sadness.

No comments: