Saturday, September 20, 2008

YOU CAN'T GET THERE FROM HERE



1 Timothy 1:12 – 17
I'm sure everybody has heard the joke about the guy asking directions from the farmer who tells the guy; “You can't get there from here”. It is a funny story, and I have used the punch line many times myself, as I am sure many people have, but there is a weird truth behind the joke that can be applied to how we get to heaven.
There is a story of a young mother who was trying to explain her father’s death to her 4-year-old. The girl wondered where Grandpa was. “I’m sure he’s in heaven,” the mother answered, “because he was very good.” The girl replied sadly, “I guess I won’t be in heaven.” “Why not?” her mother asked in surprise. “’Cause I’m not very good.”
I’m saddened when I hear of others who believe they must be very good to get into heaven, especially since we all know deep down in our hearts that we’re not very good at all.
Perhaps like this little girl you’re thinking about your sins and asking, “What must I do to get to heaven?” The answer has already been given: Jesus, by His death, has paid in full the price of your sins, no matter how bad, or shameful they may be. Your salvation is free.
12 I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service.
13 Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief.
14 The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.
15 Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the worst.
16 But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life.
17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.
Left to our own devices, there is no way we can get to heaven from here. No matter what we do we can't do enough. Paul tell us this in the book of Romans.
Ro 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.
God promises, “Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall be as wool” (Isa. 1:18). No one is good enough to get into heaven. Eternal life is a gift.

Receive Jesus by faith.

No comments: