Tuesday, September 2, 2008

PASS IT ON


Deuteronomy 4: 5 – 10
Back in my twenty's I had two rings that were passed down to me, one from my father and one from my mother. The ring that came from my father was a large mens onyx ring that was really quite good looking, the ring from my mother was from her father(my grandfather) was a signet ring that she had engraved with my initials.
Both rings had a great deal of value to me, but I took possession of them in a time during my life when I could have cared less for what the generation before me had passed along. I took that ring from my father, and I pawned it to buy a jug of wine and some other mind altering substances. Some how, the other ring survived, I would have done the same thing, only I couldn't find it.
The point that I'm trying to make is that; I lost that part of my heritage,it's gone, forgotten and can't be replaced and my life is lessened because of my actions.
It doesn't matter how the other ring survived, but, I have it and it reminds me, whenever I wear it, of my grandfather and all the stories he told me of his childhood growing up in Ireland, and of all the things he tried to teach me before he passed on.
God's word is like those two rings. If it becomes lost, we are lost, if it is kept, there is a rich past upon which we can build our lives and not forget the teachings given to our ancestors.
9 Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them
10 Remember the day you stood before the LORD your God at Horeb, when he said to me, "Assemble the people before me to hear my words so that they may learn to revere me as long as they live in the land and may teach them to their children."
God always says it so much better than I can. His word is rich and beautiful desirous.
Back in the days of Deuteronomy, the people were being handed a gift from God, “the statutes and the judgments” that would allow them to live properly in the land of God’s promise. Along with those laws came an admonition for the people to share with their progeny the lessons God taught them on the way. They were told not to “forget the things your eyes have seen” and to teach God’s words to their children and grandchildren. We have a similar legacy to convey to the next generation. As followers of Christ, we take this as one of our greatest responsibilities.
Teach your children, teach them about their heritage, let them learn the history of the family. Most importantly, teach them the word of God it will never let them down, and it will give them a firm foundation for their lives and the lives of their children.

If children are to find their way to God, we must point the way.

No comments: