Tuesday, September 9, 2008

VICTIMS


Genesis 3: 1 – 13
I have a friend who is connected with the outlaw biker world. One of his favorite T-shirts that he wears has this simple phrase printed in large letters across his chest; “In my world, you're just another victim”.
Unfortunately, I have to agree with that phrase. We have become a society of victims. Nothing is our fault, it was the way we were raised, after all we didn't pick our parents; I can't help the way I behave, I have a disease; what's right for you is not necessarily right for me.
The enemy has gained a good long lasting victory with this, I'm sure that my friends shirt is one of his favorites, after all, our society of victimization began in the Garden of Eden.
11 ¶ And he said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree from which I commanded you not to eat?"
12 The man said, "The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it."
13 Then the LORD God said to the woman, "What is this you have done?" The woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate."
Neither Adam nor Eve took responsibility for their actions, they pointed fingers every which way but at themselves, heck, Adam even tried to blame God (v 12) instead of taking responsibility for his actions. He was even there and could have stopped Eve from taking the fruit from the Serpent, they could have both walked away.
Satan gladly took the admonition from God smiling as he slithered away knowing that he had scored the first points of a battle that has gone on for five thousand years or so.
When we have done something wrong, we can either accept legitimate blame for what we have done or shift the blame to others. The way that pleases God and results in spiritual growth is to accept personal responsibility for our actions.
I know that the concept of responsibility can be a tough one to grasp, but it takes a strong person to stand up on their hind legs and say; “I did it, and I am ready to face the consequences”.
When we face up to our actions, we sometime find out that the consequences are not as bad as they seem.

No comments: