Monday, September 8, 2008

WHAT HAVE YOU GOT?


1 Corinthians 4: 1 – 8
I need to take the lesson of these verses to heart, for you see, I am a very judgmental man. Now, before you condemn me let me say that I do not judge others, but I do judge myself rather harshly.
It's just one of those character defects left over from the old days when I was a no good, low down, dirty rotten scoundrel.
There are times when I am capable of seeing nothing but good in others, no matter what the situation, and can see nothing but bad in myself. The one good thing that I can say is, that these occasions are getting fewer and farther in between.
3 I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself.
4 My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me.
5 Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men’s hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God.
This is one of the goals that I have set for myself, to adopt a nonjudgmental attitude, and take it to heart using that old sage; “Learn it, Love it, Live it.”
The one lesson that I have learned from these scriptures is that I have realized that no matter what I have, whether a talent, or material thing, it comes directly from God. Therefore I have nothing to boast of other than Christ resurrected.
7 For who makes you different from anyone else? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?
8 Already you have all you want! Already you have become rich! You have become kings—and that without us! How I wish that you really had become kings so that we might be kings with you!
I just love reading the Bible, and I am sure that I have said that on more than one occasion, but, there are times when it becomes hard to read it. Not because of the difficulties in translation, or not understanding what is written on the page, no, it becomes difficult because it points right to the darkness in my heart.
I'm not sure ho to wrap this teaching up. I have hit the bullet points that I started out with, but I am having trouble bringing it all together for the big finish.
So, I guess I'll just suggest that we all read the word of God daily, search our hearts and apply the word directly to our hearts.

LEARN IT, LOVE IT, LIVE IT.

No comments: