Tuesday, July 29, 2008

ALL FOR ONE, ONE FOR ALL

Philippians 1: 9 – 18

I know it will be hard to believe, but when I was a younger man, I was no stranger to the feel of handcuffs being placed on my wrists by an officer of the law. This was a direct result of my use and abuse of drugs and alcohol. I was a fast learner, I only had to “fall down the stairs” once to know that I would always co-operate with the cops after that. At times like this the only thing on my mind was my own well being. I could care less about anyone else including those people I claimed to love.
What I’m trying to say is that it was a very selfish experience, it was all me, me, me.

Paul, being in chains, made it an opposite experience. He made it all about Jesus. He made sure that the entire Palace Guard knew the Gospel, and preached the word to them daily.
12 Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel.
13 As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ.

Paul was able to reach out and take the word to others outside the palace that he w as held prisoner. He wrote letters to different people and churches, and sent disciples out into the world to preach the word of God.

14 Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly.

He knew that not all the brothers had pure intentions, and that some were preaching the word in hope for personal gain but that didn’t matter, the word of God was being preached throughout the known world.

18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice. Yes, and I will continue to rejoice,
19 for I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance.

No matter what our station or situation is, we are all capable of bringing the word of God. Everyone in our public and private lives should know our beliefs, and we should share them freely without need of motivation.
Folks, I’m struggling to find a way to wrap this up. I just can’t seem to come to a conclusion.
The title of this teaching is All for one, one for all. No matter how we slice it, Jesus is the one.
Praise him.
Sorry about the way this ends. I will try harder next time

No comments: