Monday, July 7, 2008

FROG

Isaiah 46: 1 – 11

When I was about 13 years old I became very sick. I didn’t know at the time what had hit me. All I knew was that, all at once, I puked, lost control pf my bowels, and fell on the bathroom floor because I lost all my sense of balance. I have never felt so sick in my life. I lay on the floor helpless, I couldn’t move, my mother had to come and clean me up and my father had to carry me to my bed. All I could do was lie in bed and cry because it felt as if I was falling and spinning and it wouldn’t stop. I was afraid that I was going to die and I wouldn’t let my father leave me alone. I was afraid to be alone and completely helpless and had to rely on my parents for everything. It turns out that I had an inner ear infection which still affects me today.
Having to rely on others so completely was not an easy thing to do, especially for a kid that has just gotten used to some independence.
Adults have issues about dependence also. We have taught ourselves the unbiblical principal of self reliance we forgot that we have to rely on a “higher power” to help us through our day.
What we have to learn to do is FROG.
Fully
Rely
On
God!

4 Even to your old age and grey hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

In some twelve step recovery programs, they tell you that if you cannot accept the idea of God, you can make anything your higher power upon which you can rely. This never really works; everyone comes to rely on God sooner or later.

6 Some pour out gold from their bags and weigh out silver on the scales; they hire a goldsmith to make it into a god, and they bow down and worship it.
7 They lift it to their shoulders and carry it; they set it up in its place, and there it stands. From that spot it cannot move. Though one cries out to it, it does not answer; it cannot save him from his troubles.

So just remember, in times of trouble; FROG it, when you’re feeling down; FROG it, when you’re sick or in pain; FROG it, when you just can’t go any further; FROG it. When things are going really well; FROG it and read the word of God.

No comments: