Thursday, July 31, 2008

ARE YOU READY?

Hebrews 4: 1 – 7

I really enjoy movies that I categorize as “Guts and Glory” movies. These movies usually feature the armed forces, and for the most part the good guys win, and even if they do lose it is an honorable death. In a good deal of these movies, they show our heroes training to be ready to go to war.
One of my favorites is Heart Break Ridge with Clint Eastwood as the grizzled old Marine Gunnery Sergeant. At one point in the film, in the middle of the night, an emergency call for deployment to go to combat comes, it’s purpose was to find out if the marines were ready to go and had the proper equipment to fight.
The military trains to be ready, sports teams train to be ready, musicians practice, actors rehearse, and Doctors attend seminars, all to be ready for when the time comes.

Are you ready for when your time comes to enter the Kingdom of Heaven?

4 Somewhere it’s written, "God rested the seventh day, having completed his work,"
5 but in this other text he says, "They’ll never be able to sit down and rest."
6 So this promise has not yet been fulfilled. Those earlier ones never did get to the place of rest because they were disobedient.
7 God keeps renewing the promise and setting the date as today, just as he did in David’s psalm, centuries later than the original invitation: Today, please listen; don’t turn a deaf ear… (The Message)

Training isn’t easy.
It requires time and dedication to our faith.
Training alone can be fruitless because we have a tendency to ease up and get lazy if we don’t have someone to keep us accountable, or encourage us, or even lead us in the direction we should go. As an example, I am trying to read the Bible in 90 days. All I have to do is read 12 pages a day. I started out gangbusters, even reading ahead in case I had a bad day. Well, a bad day came followed by another and then another. Before I knew it, I was so far behind, that I skipped over books and passages that I have read recently in order to catch up. I’m still a day behind right now. Again, Why? I’m doing it alone and I let up. But I keep on plugging hoping for fewer bad days.

Get started in training now. Find a partner or a group, find a path to follow, lead it yourself if you have to, but get ready for that day when you will stand alone in front of God. Hopefully He will say; Welcome good and faithful servant.

God’s call may come at any time—so be ready all the time!

No comments: