Sunday, July 13, 2008

I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS

Romans 12: 9 – 21

When I have made plans, I hate when something comes along to change them. When I have settled into my chair for a comfortable night, I hate when somebody comes to the door to interrupt my peace. When things just don’t go the way I want them to, I hate it.
Why? Because I’m a selfish man like all of us are. Our first instinct is to think of ourselves before others.

Form the very beginning of my life; I had to learn that there are people to be considered other than myself. I want to be completely selfish; it’s how I’m wired, it feels good to look out for number one. Too bad there is that pesky thing called love.

Ro 12:9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.

That verse says it all.
Then there’s this one.
Ro 12:10 Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.

Arrrgh, how frustrating is that? Honor one another above yourselves?

I was there when they crucified my lordI held the scabbard when the soldier drew his swordI threw the dice when they pierced his sideBut Ive seen love conquer the great divideWhen love comes to town Im gonna catch that trainWhen love comes to town Im gonna catch that flameMaybe I was wrong to ever let you downBut I did what I did before love came to town

Powerful words from a powerful song. And it kind of explains my life before and after meeting Jesus.
Love makes us want to change plans, welcome strangers into our homes, and yes put others ahead of ourselves.

No comments: