Tuesday, July 15, 2008

ORDINARY, EVERYDAY, STUFF

Isaiah 25: 1 – 9

Last October I was riding my bike when I was hit by a front end loader. As I said in my testimony of this incident, God healed me of a broken back and other things. But, one of the things I don’t talk about that frequently is that when I look at the damage to the bike, I have to say; “Why do I still have a right leg”? Everything on the right side from the front fender to the saddlebags is crushed.
I say this not to bring focus to myself rather I hope to bring glory to God by talking about the small stuff He saves us from, or allows us to go through, every day.

When things happen to go wrong for us, we have a tendency to ask; “Where was God when this happened”? On the other hand, we praise Him whenever things go extremely well.
It’s kind of like our appreciation of white blood cells. How many infections or bacterial invasions do these elements of our blood fight off everyday? Most of us have knowledge of what these little cells in our bodies do, but we don’t think about the daily battle they wage.
That’s how we think of God. When we go to the store and don’t get into an accident, or when we bring home a paycheck that we can use to feed our families and pay the bills, or even when our kids wake up in the morning, we have knowledge of Gods existence in our lives, but we don’t think about it a whole lot.
Oh sure, we may thank Him for His protection, and another good day, in our nightly prayers, but we are rarely aware of the ordinary problems He has solved for us.

1 O LORD, you are my God; I will exalt you and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done marvelous things, things planned long ago.
4 You have been a refuge for the poor, a refuge for the needy in his distress, a shelter from the storm and a shade from the heat. For the breath of the ruthless is like a storm driving against a wall
5 and like the heat of the desert. You silence the uproar of foreigners; as heat is reduced by the shadow of a cloud, so the song of the ruthless is stilled.
9 In that day they will say, "Surely this is our God; we trusted in him, and he saved us. This is the LORD; we trusted in him; let us rejoice and be glad in his salvation."

A powerful message to hear and a wonderful hope for our lives with Him.

God’s goodness undergirds our lives
In many silent ways;
His blessings are beyond compare
—For them we give Him praise. —D. De Haan

God keeps giving us reasons to praise Him.

No comments: