Friday, July 4, 2008

BROKEN

1 Corinthians 11: 23 – 26

When I was about 5 years old, there was a toy advertised on TV that looked like a flying saucer that did all kinds of awesome things when wound up with this special crank. What it really was was a big gyroscope inside a plastic shell that looked like a space ship. It was perfect. I don’t remember how much it cost, but I do remember that my parents told me it was too expensive and we couldn’t afford it, and I wanted it sooooooooo bad.

After Christmas that year, I was in Boston with my Grandmother and we went into Woolworth’s (sort of a tradition for us) there on the returned toy table was “My” flying saucer toy and it only cost fifty cents.

I asked Nana if she could buy it for me which she did. When I got home, I found out why the toy had been returned; it was missing some accessories, it was beat up, scratched , gouged, and the crank didn’t work all that well, but if I was persistent, I could make it work.

It was great and I played with it all the time for a couple of years.
It was perfect, it was just for me, and I loved it.
I had found joy in something that was broken.

23 For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread,
24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me."
25 In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me."
26 For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.

Easter is about the perfect Lamb of God, broken so that we can be whole.

The cost of our salvation is too expensive, we can’t afford it. So God, in His infinite wisdom, sacrificed his only son, broken for us, so that we may be saved.

Isn’t it funny that we can find joy and fulfillment in something that is broken?

No comments: