Thursday, July 10, 2008

CAN’T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG

Hebrews 12: 14 – 25

Bitterness sucks! I’ve learned that bitterness only consumes the vessel that contains it. And for me to permit bitterness to control or infect my life in any way whatsoever would be to allow those who imprisoned me to take even more than they’ve already taken.
Whenever I start resentment, and don’t take care of it, it grows and begins to take over everything in my life. it gets to the point that the bitterness is all that exists. To use a gardening metaphor, it’s like a weed that goes unchecked; it just winds its roots all throughout the garden patch until nothing else lives, no flowers bloom, there’s nothing left but the weed.
I believe that bitterness is what the writer of Hebrews had in mind when he penned his warnings. Some of the Christians may have been considering returning to Judaism because of persecution and injustice. Like a small root that grows into a great tree, bitterness could spring up in their hearts and overshadow their deepest Christian relationships.

14 Work at getting along with each other and with God. Otherwise you’ll never get so much as a glimpse of God.
15 Make sure no one gets left out of God’s generosity. Keep a sharp eye out for weeds of bitter discontent. A thistle or two gone to seed can ruin a whole garden in no time.
16 Watch out for the Esau syndrome: trading away God’s lifelong gift in order to satisfy a short-term appetite.
17 You well know how Esau later regretted that impulsive act and wanted God’s blessing—but by then it was too late, tears or no tears.

When angry feelings go unchecked, they’ll mushroom into hate; so don’t let time feed bitternessForgiveness must not wait.

Bitterness is a root that ruins the garden of peace.
I leaned heavily on ODB this morning. For reasons unknown to me, I just can’t seem to focus, something that happens from time to time, it usually means that I haven’t gotten enough sleep.

I hope you can understand and overlook my shortcomings.

No comments: