Thursday, July 17, 2008

WHY PRAY?

Luke 11: 1 – 11

The simple answer to this question is; “Because Jesus did”.

Jesus prayed without ceasing, taught us to pray by giving us an example of how to do it, and then told us why we should pray.

2 So He said to them, "When you pray, say: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
3 Give us day by day our daily bread.
4 And forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who is indebted to us. And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one."
So the question comes up again; why pray?
In prayer we are approaching the Creator of all that is, someone who can make us feel immeasurably small. How can we do anything but fall silent in such presence? How can we believe that whatever we say matters to God? The Bible sometimes emphasizes the distance between humans and God and sometimes the closeness. Without question, though, Jesus Himself taught us to count on the closeness.
Jesus understood better than anyone the vast difference between God and human beings. Yet He did not question the personal concern of God, who watches over sparrows and counts the hairs on our heads. He valued prayer enough to spend many hours at the task.
9 “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
10 For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.
13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"
I am awed that God wants to hear from me daily, and wants a relationship with me, and I don’t really understand why, I just know that it is true. Who am I to not want to have a relationship with him? So I pray. I pray for myself, my family, and my friends.

I relied heavily on ODB today basically because my words just didn’t make sense to me, I just couldn’t express myself the way I wanted to and ODB said it pretty well.
So “Big Ups” to Our Daily Bread, and I will try harder tomorrow.

No comments: