Sunday, July 13, 2008

IF YOU LOVE ME

John 14: 15 – 24

15 "If you love me, you will obey what I command.

How many times have we used a phrase similar to that to get what we wanted? We usually used it with the opposite sex, and would throw in the word “really” for emphasis.
We are not like Jesus, we use words like that to get sexual favors, and He had more pure motives when He used those words.

Jesus wants us to live by his commands, by the word of God.

By our natures we are rebellious, and not usually in a good way. Our parents tell us that the stove is hot; we touch it anyway because of our curiosity, and get burned. We are told that the hill we are looking at is too steep for sledding, and we end up with cuts, bruises, and sometime a loss of consciousness.

We are flawed beings, and really don’t like to follow orders, or even suggestions, unless it gets us what we want. Our rebellious or willful streaks often lead to unhappy outcomes. In anger, Moses struck the rock to get water rather than just speak to it as God had commanded. He forfeited the privilege of entering the Promised Land with his people. Jonah disobeyed an order to go to Nineveh and was given 3 days to think about his choice inside a big fish
What does it take for us to obey Him? Will we obey simply because we love Him?
23 Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.
24 He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.
Nothing between, like worldly pleasure:Habits of life, though harmless they seem,Must not my heart from Him ever severHe is my all! There’s nothing between.
Obedience is another word for love and loyalty.

No comments: