Friday, July 25, 2008

WHAT THE…?

Psalm 59

Ben Carpenter has muscular dystrophy and gets around in an electric wheelchair. One day as he was crossing an intersection, the light changed and a semi-truck caught the handles of Ben’s wheelchair in its grille. Unaware, the driver started down the road, and before long Ben was being pushed along at 50 miles per hour. Soon the rubber on the wheelchair’s tires began to burn off.
Passersby saw the bizarre sight and phoned 911 to inform the police. When the truck driver pulled over, he was astonished to see what was attached to his truck’s grille. Ben had a big scare but escaped without injury.
When I first heard of this story, I thought to myself; “Whoa! That must have been some wild ride”. Then I asked myself; “What would I have done in the same situation”?
I remember that Ben himself said that he had never thought that he would have gone that fast in his chair, and that he just held on and prayed that it would end.
Ever feel that way, like your life is speeding out of control, and all you can do is sit there and pray? Kinda scary when it’s going on isn’t it? Kinda confusing too, right?

How do you think David felt? First he was lovingly invited to the Palace to play harp to soothe the king, and suddenly Saul is throwing spears at him trying to kill him! If he knew what one was, I’m sure that David would have felt as if he was on some unending Roller Coaster.
So, what did David do?
He prayed and praised God.

1 Deliver me from my enemies, O God; protect me from those who rise up against me.
2 Deliver me from evildoers and save me from bloodthirsty men.
4 I have done no wrong, yet they are ready to attack me. Arise to help me; look on my plight!
14 They return at evening, snarling like dogs, and prowl about the city.
15 They wander about for food and howl if not satisfied.
16 But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.
17 O my Strength, I sing praise to you; you, O God, are my fortress, my loving God.

So when life feels like you’re strapped to the grill of a speeding truck, and no matter what you do, it won’t stop, go right to the throne and pray.

When troubles call on you, call on God.

No comments: