Friday, July 18, 2008

IF YOU CAN’T SAY ANYTHING GOOD…

James 3: 1 = 12

How many times have we heard someone say; “If you can’t say anything good, don’t say anything at all”. It’s one of those wise old sayings that have their basis in the Bible. Ain’t it funny that these “wise old sayings” really have some merit for our lives? As a kid, I thought that these were just tired advice from Ben Franklin and that they had no relevance in my life. I was about to learn a few quick lessons.

For those of you who don’t know, I have been married twice. (The first was a terrible mistake) one day my ex-wife was talking to a cousin of mine, when she said to him; “You know, Uncle Jimmy (my father) never liked you”. That turn of the tongue has affected my relationship with him ever since and that was @ thirty years ago.
I thought it would be funny if I spread this rumor about the sexuality of a man I worked with, his reputation at work was eventually restored, and I almost ended up being fired.

7 All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man,
8 but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.
9 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God’s likeness.
10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be.

It is essential that we use our words with great wisdom and care. Consider carefully the words you choose. Will they be seasoned with the balm of grace or with the poison of anger?

A careless word may kindle strife,
A cruel word may wreck a life,
A timely word may lessen stress,
A loving word may heal and bless. —Anon.

It is better to bite your tongue than to let it bite someone else.

No comments: