Saturday, July 19, 2008

“…AND YOUR LITTLE DOG TOO…”

Jonah 4

I love my dog. He’s just this big, dumb as a box of rocks, Golden Retriever who seems to think that everybody on the planet was placed here to play with him, and to love him, as he gives love in return. He will run to get excited bring you one of his toys and then lick you into submission. The only things he likes better than people are food and sleep.
Yep, like I said, I love my dog. I am also thrilled to know that God loves him too.

How do I know that God loves my dog?
It’s written in his word.
Long before animal rights became a global issue, the story of Jonah shows the attention our Creator gives to all His creatures. As the story ends, the Lord expresses concern not only for the citizens of Nineveh but also for their livestock. And earlier, God gave Moses laws that extended certain protections even to animals (Ex. 23:4-5, 12).
11 But Nineveh has more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left and many cattle as well. Should I not be concerned about that great city?"

I love the fact that God cares for animals so much, that he mentions them with compassion when he describes a city that He is concerned about. He obviously loves animals as much as he loves us. After all, he put them here as well, didn’t he?
Though humans alone are made in the image of God, the story of Jonah and other Bible texts show a link between caring for people and animals. The conclusion seems clear. If God cares even for livestock, how can we ignore the needs of any person for whom His Son died?

In trees and flowers of the field,
In creatures large and small,
We trace the watchful care of Him
Who planned and made them all. —King

God cares for us and calls us to care for His creation.

No comments: