Sunday, July 6, 2008

I LOVE ME, SOME ME!

Psalm 26

Terrell Owens, wide receiver for the Dallas Cowboys, is famous for the phrase; “I love me some me”. T.O., as he is called, is a very narcissistic self centered individual who appears to pout and stamp his feet whenever things don’t go his way.
I hate to admit it that I sometimes act the same way. I want things to go my way. And, if we are truthful, we are all pretty much the same way.
So we have to ask ourselves a strange question.

ARE WE PRAYING TO GOD, OR TO OURSELVES?

What do I mean by that question?

Well, when falsely accused, for example, I plead with God for vindication. I want my name cleared and the guilty person held accountable for the harm done to my reputation. But then I get impatient with God and try to vindicate myself. I may as well be praying to myself.
I will also pump myself up by listing my good qualities in that prayer as if God has no idea what kind of person I am. Who am I listing my qualities for anyway?

1. Vindicate me, O LORD, for I have led a blameless life; I have trusted in the LORD without wavering.
2 Test me, O LORD, and try me, examine my heart and my mind;
3 for your love is ever before me, and I walk continually in your truth.
4 I do not sit with deceitful men, nor do I consort with hypocrites;

I think that’s what David is doing here. There is just a hint of a pity party going on don’t you think?

We need to change that attitude and get to the truth of the matter and know just who it is that we are praying to. We need to pray to God, not ourselves.

8 I love the house where you live, O LORD, the place where your glory dwells.

This is where we need to be; loving the place where “His” glory dwells, not where our egos live.

Let’s start praying to God and not to ourselves.

No comments: